Some people say you can only get amazing results at the gym. Well, I lost 40 lbs after having my twins by working out at home and focusing on my nutrition. It was not easy, but when you work outside the home and have twin toddlers, I had to be realistic with my options to achieve my goal.
I’ll be honest with you- I am NOT a morning person. There is no way I will be getting up at 4 or 5 am to hit the gym before work. Nothing against those who do, that’s just not my style. I would rather sleep, and with 3 little kids now, I definitely need it!
So here are my top tips for getting great results with home workouts:
- Invest in some weights/ dumbbells and a mat. Thanks to COVID-19, dumbbells are pretty hard to find and have been for over 6 months. I have a wide range of dumbbells from 3-25 lbs. There are many exercises where you can use your body weight, but with the upper body especially, I like lifting weights. You’ll need a mat for a lot of core and full-body strengthening.
- Designate a small area of your home to use for working out. If possible, find a small space in your home to store your equipment, roll out your mat and exercise! You’ll find out in time, this often is a space you will love to sneak away for a little “me time” to reset your mindset and mood.
- Plan your workout schedule the week before and stick to it. This is so important. It’s easy to skip a workout when you don't have to drive to a gym or studio. So instead, look ahead at your week and write in your calendar when you plan to work out. Keep it as if it was an appointment with a personal trainer. Make a goal. If your goal is 3 workouts a week and you reach your goal, reward yourself.
- Make sure to include resistance training. Cardio is great for your body, don't get me wrong. If you want to build lean muscle, burn more fat and tone your body- you will HAVE to do some resistance/strength training at least 2-3 times a week.
- Make sure to get your heart rate up! It's important with any workout to keep the intensity up and make sure you get into the fat-burning zone for maximum results.
I enjoy home workouts because I make them quick and effective. I also don’t have to waste time driving to and from the gym. It’s never been my belief that you have to work out for 60 minutes a day (at the gym or home) to get great results. Time management is definitely required for us busy mothers, that's why all of my home workouts are less than 30 minutes long with minimal to no equipment.
If you are looking for fast and effective home workouts, make sure to follow me on social media and join our private FB group, called the Healthy Mama Huddle. Hope to see you in there!