We’ve all been there. We know we have to exercise in order to reach our health or fitness goal, but we really just don’t feel like it.
You’re tired. It’s cold and rainy outside. It’s been an exhausting morning with the kids and you’re laying on the couch.
Trust me, I get it- I’ve been there. It can be hard to get up and motivate yourself to go workout.
Here are 6 simple tips to motivate yourself to workout:
- Put your workout clothes on first thing in the morning. When Saturday morning comes and I pre-planned to work out, I get into my favorite workout clothes. Because honestly, if I stay in my pajamas, I most likely won’t feel like working out later.
- Remember how you feel after working out. After a workout, I feel amazing! My energy levels increase and my mood is better- it’s really a win-win for my entire family. Try to picture how you feel (physically and mentally) after you work out.
- Find a workout buddy to keep you accountable. We tend to reach our goals faster when we have a support system or friend to keep us accountable. Join a support group to cheer each other on and stay on track with like minded moms. If you are looking for one, come over to the The Healthy Mama Huddle , our FREE FB group!
- Keep your goal in mind and surround yourself with positive things. Stay focused on your goal- why did you start this journey? To have more energy for your kids? To feel more confident and sexy in your clothes? Surround yourself with positive people and a positive mindset to get and STAY motivated. Stop the negative self-talk.
- Make working out a healthy habit, not a punishment. Don’t think of exercise as a punishment for what you ate or drank. Think of exercise as celebration for what your body CAN do. As a physical therapist, I see patients all the time who have poor mobility, and they would likely give anything to have their full mobility again. So don’t take it for granted! Try to make exercise a healthy habit you commit to a few times a week and soon it will be a new healthy habit!
- PLAN and write down your workouts in your calendar and reward yourself when you achieve your goal. Write down your workouts ahead of time in your calendar and keep it as if it were an appointment. Rewards make us feel like we’ve earned something. Before the week begins, plan to reward yourself when you hit your goal. Did you hit your goal to work out 3 times a week? Awesome! Then treat yourself to a manicure, bubble bath or a glass (or two!) of your favorite wine while watching your show. Give yourself small rewards when you reach a goal!
As a mom of 3 little ones, I know how hard it can be to motivate yourself to workout. Life with young kids, work and a household can be complete chaos at times.
Try incorporating a few of these tips each week. If you have any questions or need more support, you know where to find me :)
*P.S- JOIN OUR FREE FB GROUP, The Healthy Mama Huddle FOR MORE SUPPORT.